my thoughts' coffeeflet

a sort of kludgy lodging place for my life

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

successful

The thing about success is that it is in the eye of the beholder. A small business owner in Lebanon, South Dakota, feels successful when her hometown baker manages to stay afloat. Donald Trump feels successful when he manages to secure a good 25% of the US in new real estate purchases. A local high schooler feels successful when he nails his audition and winds up on the community theatre stage. Meg Ryan feels successful when she puts out a film that does not stem from the romantic comedy genre all while claiming her much deserved, long awaited Oscar.

Some people want wealth and worldly success, but I'm not one of them. I want to make enough money to get by comfortably, to pay off my school debt, to have free time to recharge with friends, and to enjoy this next stage in life. Then, when this phase ends, I'll be ready to move overseas, to give up American materialism, and do something truly meaningful in my life. A full-time career that takes me to the top? No thanks! The only full-time career I'm interested in is living my life for God and for others. The only "to the top" experience I want is to get to heaven when I die and to hear my Father say, "Well done."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home