my thoughts' coffeeflet

a sort of kludgy lodging place for my life

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

phew

I, Quesse Lome, missionary kid extraordinaire, global travel expert with a forte in cross-cultural communications, interviewed at Microsoft today. Yes, yes, I did. What's more is that I think they liked me. (Apparently, my background in residence assistance helped out!) The only problem is that the position doesn't start until August 5... :-S

So, at the end of the interviews (there were two, back to back), I was asked [PASSIVE VOICE] if there would be a problem with that start date. I admitted that, yes, I would prefer to start work sooner than a month in the future, and that it was disappointing that they didn't start sooner. Honestly, I think I would love working there. The position sounds great--a lot like stuff that I did in the bookstore at my university--and I really enjoyed the atmosphere at Microsoft.

However, once I mentioned that to the second interviewer, she said (roughly), "Person to person, if it's unrealistic for you to wait for this position and something else comes up that works for you better, we won't have any hard feelings if you can't follow through with us. No burned bridges here. If, in the future, you'd like to reapply with us, that would be fine too."

SO...I feel like I can accurately deduce that they liked me. I certainly didn't get any "WE HATE YOU" vibes from anyone there, although I wasn't all that impressed with the two young receptionists. (They seemed a BIT unprofessional.) Even so, I'm glad that those interviews are over, especially since I woke up this morning with a pretty intense headache that only got worse and made me suppress waves of nausea during the second interview. THAT would have gone over well... "Yeah, remember that girl that puked during her interview? ...Don't hire her..."

Anyway, I'm now more than halfway through my interviews this week, and they've all gone well so far. I feel like US Bank wants to hire me, but there's still a few days before I know for sure. The interview went well yesterday, and I really like the guys who would be my managers at the bank. Very nice guys. I already know Ryan, and I like the idea of being a bank teller. I think it's the kind of work that would mesh very well with me. We'll see on that front...

I also had an interview at the NU library yesterday, and I think it went ok. It's a little harder to tell when you know the people already! I don't think I'm quite as prepared for that position as I originally thought I was, and they won't be able to give me a firm answer for a couple of weeks more, so I'm leaning away from the library at this point, although they give better pay than the bank. Hmmm...

On another note, I ran into the school photographer yesterday at NU, and he wants to do a photoshoot of me and Khan for some of the different publications. So tomorrow, we're heading off to Pike Place Market and then the ferry and then wherever else we might need to go. Merlin's buying food and stuff tomorrow. (Sweet!) Also, he's willing to buy me other clothes for the photoshoot, but that all depends on scheduling at this point. (I wonder if I get to keep the clothes...?)

I really didn't think this week was going to be as enjoyable as it's been so far, but God is proving me wrong. Also, Maggie blessed me with a smoothie from work this afternoon on my way back from Microsoft. I tell ya what, immunity nectar must be a powerful healing elixir because I started feeling better on the drive back to the house!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home