my thoughts' coffeeflet

a sort of kludgy lodging place for my life

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

the mirror crack'd

I had one of the coolest experiences of the semester tonight. I was helping a friend film a commercial for the upcoming women's conference here at NU, and I got to smash a mirror. It was so amazing. :) The mirror was one of those sheet ones that's about four feet tall and three feet wide. I got to throw a ceramic mug at it and it totally shattered both the mirror and the mug! It was so rad! There was massive mirror pwnage.

And, in some ways, it was a tangible way to get rid of the physical--if that makes any sense. Each girl being filmed is representing a word that keeps them in bondage--fear, abuse, oppression, betrayal. The word that I was representing was depression--fitting--so there we took various shots of me looking into this mirror as well as around the room, at least attempting to portray depression. (For some reason, it was flipping hard to do so!)

Well, the last shot we did was of me sitting on a sofa, looking into this huge mirror, holding a mug in my hand. And then I looked at the mirror, contemplating, then launched the mug. The mirror completely shattered. It was awesome. :) So I broke the mirror of depression and...it's been freeing. I think I'll keep reminding myself of this like I have to keep reminding myself of the list I wrote over break.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Si! It was amazing. :)I am SO excited for the video. I think I may come to second chapel that day so I can sit with you. :) Unless I make lunch plans but I don't know that I will. :)

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home