my thoughts' coffeeflet

a sort of kludgy lodging place for my life

Sunday, November 12, 2006

of note

I went to a concert at Overlake tonight. (Tyler let me tag along ) Performing were Roby Duke, Sarah Kelly, and Chris Tomlin. Desperation Band was supposed to be there--instead of Roby Duke--but because of recent events, they felt it better to stay home.

It's funny how God uses the things we don't expect Him to.

I haven't been a huge Sarah Kelly fan. I've admired her music, enjoyed her songs, but my opinion of her really changed tonight. Part of it is that I can relate to her story. Part of it is that God used her music to relate to me. Usually I don't cry over songs when I hear them for the first time.

The song that's currently on my profile is the one that she sang that really spoke to me. The message is one that I've been slowly grasping this semester. The past is there, it's not a pretty one, but hope and life are ahead. I can stop focusing on what happened. I can see God ahead of me--and in me--and move forward in Him towards life.

Another thing: each of the three artists performed a version of "Amazing Grace." Chris Tomlin has some neat circumstances behind why he sang it. There's a film coming out in Feb '07 about William Wilberforce--a primary activist in leading the abolitionist movement way back in the day. If you know the story behind the song "Amazing Grace," you know that John Newton--the author--had been a slave trader--tie in with abolition--before his conversion.

These details lead up to Tomlin's involvement in the project. He was asked to add to the song. In telling the story, he said, "That's like asking me to add to the book of John. [...] I think the song has done well enough on its own!" However, in researching the song, he discovered the original ending verse--which he added back in--and made a big connection about how God has set us free and that there is no condemnation in Christ--something else that I've been learning this semester.

I'm glad God uses all our circumstances to get our attention and remind us of who we are. He is so awesome!


The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, Who called me here below,
Will be forever mine.



[update]


More on Sarah Kelly:
(from her website)

Many of the tracks on Where The Past Meets Today were inspired by some very difficult experiences for Sarah, experiences which she had to confront in the process of creation of these songs. "Out of Reach," one of the focal tracks, was born out of a live show that ended with an amazing twist.

Sarah was performing with her band at a city festival in the midwest for a mixed audience of college students and young adults in 2005, one year after the release of her debut album Take Me Away. It seemed to be a normal show as she sang her songs, but something was restless inside of her. Then, in the middle of her set she stopped the show. Gripped by heavy emotions, she began to share the story behind this new song. As she spoke she reached down to her journal, which was lying next to her onstage, and ripped a page out of it. Sarah then began to read her most secret, haunting moments to the crowd. It was the first time she would ever acknowledge her abusive past to the public. Not one single person uttered a sound as she continued to tell her story. Moments passed. Her band just stood there in silence, not knowing what to do. When she had finished speaking, she asked the crowd one question: "Is there anyone out there who has experienced these things as well?"

Over twenty young ladies began walking forward to the stage independently of one another, and several men as well. She didn't give an altar call to prompt them, and she didn't even preach. They just came. The entire place was paralyzed, still. Instead of leading into a song, she went down to the crowd, praying with each and every one of them, asking God to heal their wounds. She ended her show at that point and did not play another song. It was the single most powerful ministry experience she has ever had before or since. She confesses in the song, I never knew how good life could be. So this is peace. I'm out of reach of yesterday. Far away. And I see life, yes I see life. Ahead not behind.

"I lived in place of quiet fear for so many years, keeping silent about the cycle of abusive relationships in my life. I found that my only outlet for honesty was in music. It was the only place where I felt true joy. When I started to experience that release in the songs I wrote, played, and performed, I woke up and realized that I didn't need to live that way. Once I started being honest with myself healing and peace followed."


What words of truth and encouragement!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home