my thoughts' coffeeflet

a sort of kludgy lodging place for my life

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Firefly

Tonight Tyler and I finished watching Firefly. We started the series about two and a half weeks ago and have been watching on and off together. It's been fun. It's a great show, and for the most part, we've been watching it by ourselves, so there's been a lot of bonding time, which has been nice in respect to life. A period of catching my breath spent with someone with whom I feel comfortable.

When I watched the series through the first time, I didn't feel any particular affinity for any of the characters. I liked them all, enjoyed each portrayal, and loved every minute of the series. (Bring it back!) However, when I watched it again this time, I felt a connection to River Tam's character. (If you haven't watched the series, do it. You won't regret it!)

River's confusion about her past...she knows what happened, but doesn't fully understand all the repercussions. She's dealing with being hurt at the hands of others. She has a brother who rescues her and lovingly walks her through all the unexpected twists and turns. There are so many mental puzzle pieces that she's trying to fit together in some kind of order, and she's misunderstood by so many of those around her.

It was ironic to be rewatching the show with Tyler. Here I am, experiencing similar emotions as River, sitting next to a man who loves me and is supporting me through it all. He might not always understand what's going on in my head, but he's there to help in any way that he can. And he's offered his strength of his own volition. It's a good feeling. It's safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home