my thoughts' coffeeflet

a sort of kludgy lodging place for my life

Sunday, June 11, 2006

quote from "God's Smuggler"

I've been reading this book about a Dutch believer--Brother Andrew--who has smuggled Bibles into Communist countries all over the world. So far in the book, he's been "blackballed" from Yugoslavia with a "persona non grata" stamp in his passport. However, he's been given the opportunity to travel to both Romania and Bulgaria. The stamp is a problem if he wants to get visas into these countries. Here's the quote following this passage:

...But there was still that matter of the passport. What could I do about the bad page? Tear it out? That was impossible, since all the pages were numbered. Throw the whole thing away, pretend I had lost it, and file a claim for a new one? But that was not the Royal Way; the King's servants didn't have to stoop.

I went to the Hague, to the office of passport control, and showed the reviewing officer my problem. He was very understanding. "I sympathize with you," he said, "but there's nothing we can do."

"You see," I said, "I'm a missionary. I want to go to these countries to contact the Christians there."

He considered this for a moment. Then he shook his head. "We can't even give you hints about how to get a new passport quickly. Such as, for instance, doing a lot of travel in nearby countries and always insisting that they stamp your papers, so that your passport will fill up sooner. We couldn't even give you hints like that, don't you see? I'm very sorry."

Within a few weeks I had a new passport...
(Brother Andrew 136)


Brother Andrew, John and Elizabeth Sherrill. God's Smuggler. Old Tappan, New Jersey: Spire Books, 1967.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home