my thoughts' coffeeflet

a sort of kludgy lodging place for my life

Monday, March 12, 2007

random facts

Random fact #1:

Of all the plants in the world, I think Elphaba is the best at rebounding. I've often come back to my room--especially this summer when it was so hot--to see the plant wilted over the brim of its pot, gasping for water like a fish.

I came back from spring break, a little surprised to see that not only was Elphie wilted, but she had dried up and her stems were shriveled as well. "I've killed it!" I thought. To my surprise, she seems to be springing back, regardless of an inadvertent attempt at herbicide. It took a lot of water and most of the day spent in agony that she was truly a goner before she decided to drink some of the water and perk up a bit. Not fully back to herself, but closer than she was!

Random fact #2:

I have an unfortunate, irrational fear of earthworms. This originated from a shocking encounter with them when I was probably three years old, maybe a little younger. Anyhow, every time it rains here in the great northwest, earthworms seem to sprout from the pavement, and their bloated, squirming, slimy selves ooze everywhere.

They absolutely disgust me. They give me the creepy crawlies. I'm pretty sure if I ever had a close encounter with them--as in actually touching them--I'd probably go hysterical. (No, not in the original sense of the word! My womb is staying put, thanks much.) *shudder*

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, what is the original sense of the word?

1:10 PM  
Blogger Quesse Lómë said...

The original sense of the word is "wandering womb" because back in the day, it was assumed that the uterus was not a stationary organ and that it flitted about through the female body. So when women went hysterical (note the root is similar to hysterectomy) it was attributed to that womb that had a penchant for internal traveling.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home