my thoughts' coffeeflet

a sort of kludgy lodging place for my life

Monday, October 30, 2006

sick

I used to never get sick. Or, when I did, it would be really bad, then it'd be over quickly, and life would progress. That, however, occurred while I lived in Africa. Now that I've moved "back" to the US, it seems like every sniffle and snark that floats through the air is automatically attracted to my body and attacks my immune system which is unaccustomed to "temperate" disease.

Our first furlough, when I was in first grade, I had chronic bronchitis. (I also had the flu once or twice...) At that time, my pediatrician told my mom that if I got bronchitis "one more time" that they would check me for allergies. Well, "one more time" didn't happen then, and I don't believe that I've had bronchitis since, but I know I'm allergic to something. Maybe it's North America.

And maybe, just maybe, this is why people moved to the Mediterranean when they suffered from consumption back in the day. Doctors recommended people move to warm, dry locations when patients were sick. I think this is why I'm suffering. I'm used to the tropics and I now live in Seattle. What a difference geography can make!

So now I'm in the midst of consuming Theraflu. I've used it before--in various forms. It's a good product, but I still don't think it tastes good. Plus, since I'm supposed to drink it hot, it burns. At least that pain might distract me from the overall achey feeling I have right now. I woke up this morning feeling like someone had beaten me up.

Furthermore, I slept very fitfully last night--and probably feverishly too. I kept waking up--wide awake--and wondering what time it was or if it was morning yet, and then falling back asleep. I felt overheated, then frozen, then overheated again. My body doesn't quite know what to do with whatever bug I've managed to contract. "Freeze it! No, burn it...no, wait. That's not quite working either. Dangit!"

*sigh*

So I am drugged up and feeling functional, but I have to write a paper tonight for a challenging prof tomorrow, and...I'm basically screwed. I have barely given it any thought and, although I am awake and alert, my brain is not necessarily functioning. Ah, tricksy, isn't it? I feel like I can work, but not really. Sleepy I am not, but my bed looks oh so tempting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

meh. chills are a result of a fever actually. :) Hopefully it is better today and you can take some time to rest. Not to mention they probably don't want you in the bookstore if you're ill. :)

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sleeping regularly and having odd eating patterns doesn't help with staying healthy, either.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home