my thoughts' coffeeflet

a sort of kludgy lodging place for my life

Sunday, July 02, 2006

thoughts about "the bad guys"

I relate to Jonah. When good stuff happens to "the bad guys," it kind of ticks me off. For instance, when good things start happening to my ex, it really rubs me the wrong way. In my worldly flesh, I keep thinking, "That jerk deserves every bad thing that's ever happened to him and more. He's not repented enough!" But if it was up to me, the poor guy would never repent "enough." For the world's sake, it's a good thing that I'm not God. He's actually forgiving and compassionate.

Speaking of "the bad guys," I also relate to Edmund in Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. I can't relate to Lucy's pureness of heart, or Peter's bravery, or Susan's mothering. But I can relate to Edmund's peevishness and his attraction to Aslan's opposition. I've been there. I've been seduced by "the dark side," if I may be so cliche. For me, I know that if I hadn't, I wouldn't be as thankful for what the Lord has done if I hadn't gone astray. In my early days of walking with the Lord, I had barely endured the hardships of this world or experienced sin. (Not to say that I was sinless...not by any stretch of the imagination.) However, after having gone through so much more and to have returned to God afterward, it astounds me that He is still there. He has conquered death, and He has given me life. And I am so grateful!


3:02pm update:
Church was great. I had my fellow RA come with me, and she really enjoyed it. She's been to this church before, but not in awhile. It was good. I "observed" the elementary class, seeing if it was something that I would want to do, and I really would. I'm excited about it. :) I've been sort of kid crazy lately, and I think this will be a good way to get to play with kids as well as help their spiritual development.

I'm a little pink around the edges now. We had a bbq after church today. Good grub, great people, gorgeous weather. What more could a person ask for? Now I'm going to finish reading "Captivating." I look forward to it.


5:46pm update:
I think I've successfully given myself skin cancer. I decided to lie out in the sun in hopes of turning my reflective legs into something a little more natural in color, namely, brown. Because for an Irish/Scandinavian/German mix, there is nothing more natural than olive skin tones. Really. :) Sadly, I don't believe my legs actually received sunlight. Maybe parts did. I'll check on them later. But my arms are a more cohesive pink instead of having patches of sunburn alternating with white. It was so nice and warm out that I almost fell asleep...but that would've been BAD.

Also, I have finished reading Captivating. This is an incredible book. It has truly helped me, and I believe that God inspired the authors to write it. I'm also thankful for P Phil pointing me in the right direction when I mentioned to him that I'd been reading it. His advice: don't forego the Word in favor of this book, no matter how good it may be. THANK YOU! :)

Now, laundry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home