my thoughts' coffeeflet

a sort of kludgy lodging place for my life

Monday, May 05, 2008

first day of post-college graduation, last day in US

It still hasn't hit me that I am done with college. I feel like commencement was a performance because it was too surreal. The people I walked with are classmates that I have known for the past few years--some are best friends; others, simply a familiar name and face. Whatever our relationship proximity, we lived in a community together, and now that community is split. That's ok. It's life, and I'm used to it. Well, okay, I'm not really used to it, but I accept it as a [sucky] part of life.

Today was filled with several trips to stores to make sure that I was adequately prepared for the trip to India tomorrow. (By now, it's technically later today...) I had to buy a pair of closed toed shoes, some plain shirts, various toiletry items, and some more memory cards for my digital camera. I have a bad feeling that I spent WAY too much money, but since my bag only came to a total of about 30 pounds (as opposed to the 50 pound allowance), I think I'm doing pretty well.

I've also been packing in the midst of trying to go to church this morning--that was a flop of an attempt--and going to work this afternoon/evening. I ended up missing the end of the year RA shindig b/c of work, which was disappointing, but it was also good to go to work and have the opportunity to really say goodbye to my coworkers. I'm going to miss them...

Everyone was congratulating me for graduating with huge smiles and eyes beaming pride. Funny how a group of immigrant workers can be seemingly more proud of me than some of my family/friends. I guess they still value the product of a college education. ;) (This is not to say that I think that my family/friends weren't excited for my graduation, but it's something else when people you see at most 12 hours a week are so profoundly ecstatic for your achievements.) I ended up with several graduation gifts, lots of hugs and handshakes, and some great food--more than enough for me with leftovers to share with my sister who packed up my room in my absence.

I also had a Mexican waiter in the hotel restaurant "plead" with me not to leave the hotel so that I could "stay right by [him]." I asked one of my coworkers if she thought he was being serious, and she said in her filipina accent, "No...he's a playboy." Ha! :)

Anyway, tomorrow I head to India. Won't be back until May 19. If you want to receive any email updates from the trip, email me at quesse.lome@gmail.com. If I ever have access to email, I'll do my best to add you to the list of recipients. In the meantime, ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home