my thoughts' coffeeflet

a sort of kludgy lodging place for my life

Thursday, March 15, 2007

encounter

I was sitting outside Starbucks this evening. Although it was so cold out that I could see my breath as it came through my nostrils, I wasn't cold since I'd been walking. My fleece was dotted with raindrops, and I could see out of the corners of my eyes that my hair was frizzing like a fright wig.

Most people were inside the establishment, but someone else sat out on the patio like me. If I'm not mistaken, he's a homeless man who typically frequents the 'bucks. He was wearing a green stocking cap and a warm looking coat. (I'm glad he had something.) He had his guitar slung over his shoulder in a brown canvas carrier. We sat at opposite ends of the patio, avoiding the dripping eaves.

I was in no mood to talk with anyone at the time, which is why I chose to sit so far away. I hope he didn't take offense. :S He seemed nice enough, but he was also quiet, and I think we were both very much lost in our thoughts.

He got up at one point and walked past me. Once in the parking lot, he stopped and came back. For a second, I thought he might stop to talk with me, but he kept going to the table where he'd been sitting. I noticed that as he walked past me again, he was carrying a glass bottle. I thought that was extraordinarily polite of him not to leave it behind for the 'bucks employees to pick up. (Okay, maybe he needed the bottle for future use and wasn't just being nice.)

I almost wish that I had sat near him and talked with him. I probably wouldn't have been so lost in my thoughts, and he probably has a lot to say about life. I wish I hadn't missed the opportunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home